Message Boards

Roses, Thorns, and Buds - 2018/2019

I should probably explain how this works. So, I’ve made a few other boards for New Year’s in the past, about what you enjoyed in the year being left behind and what you were looking forward to in the year to come. But this year I decided to do this. 

One year, I did a summer camp in which, at the end of the day, we all shared our ‘thorns’ (things we disliked about the day), ‘roses’ (things we enjoyed about the day), and ‘buds’ (things we were looking forward to in the next day). I took this idea home and to this day we still do it. And I thought, hmm, this could work for a reflection in the year! 

So let’s do it.

My thorns for 2018 were school problems (most of all); runaway Lisas; crazy politics madness I don’t even read in the paper but finds its way to me somehow; being sick; The Great Deletion; and book cliffhangers (xD).

My roses for 2018 were family; Lisa; rediscovering NMG and making amazing new friends; summer musical production camp (we did Mary Poppins and I was the grumpy housekeeper Mrs. Brill) and all the amazing new and old friends from there; discovering like 50 new obsessive fandoms (mostly through NMG, haha) including Shadowhunters (!!), Welcome to Night Vale, Carry On, The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue, and so on; really discovering my identity as a fangirl (xDD); going to the Outer Banks in the summer; turning thirteen in March (!); making art; getting an Apple Pencil for Christmas; making new music with my band; and of course all the little things like sunsets, breezes, and music. 

My buds for 2019 (!!!) are family; Lisa; being on NMG; my last year of summer musical production camp (*cries in distance*); turning fourteen in March (!!!); hopefully getting into the high school (!!!) I really want to go to; making more art and music; more fandoms; and all the little things.

I love all of you beautiful amazing people so much, and I am excited to see what the new year brings for our community and hope you all have an amazing start to your 2019. <3 <3 <3

You need to be a member of NMG Members to add comments!

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thorns: Getting sick, favorite bracelet breaking, school, and depression. Roses: Baby brother is born, playing outside, and Girls On The Run. Buds: Fresh Year, playing outside, and reading good books.
  • Thorns: Grandpa dying, little sister's health problems, drama at school.

Roses: My friends, going to school after years of homeschooling, little sister's health problems improving

Buds: Making more friends, getting better at science.
  • Thorns: Friend problems, crush problems, annoying people, one of my cat friends* dying, my boyfriend moving away...

Roses: My adventures in my backyard, my boyfriend, music, friends, and a whole ton of other things <3

Buds: turning 13, getting old enough to do workshop thingie that includes soldering and making music, and getting better at drawing.

* a cat that I am friends with. Not my cat.
  • Thorns: Drama, stress, awkwardness, loved ones passing away, school stuff, injuries, the "great deletion"

other little things...

Roses: My roses are my awesome friends (NMG included), art/digital drawing, my mom passing her exam and finishing school to be a midwife! :D, meeting new friends, improving at many things (such as playing the saxophone), seeing Hamilton, other trips/traveling, being my weird self, NMG, joining a group I really like, happiness and gratefulness. :))

Buds: My mom getting a new job (maybe), a new idea for a novel, NMG, turning 13, more ideas/goals, friends, going to Harry Potter World! xD

Happy 2019!!!
  • Thorns: 6th grade, annoying boy problems, friend drama.

Roses: NMG, new friends, theater.

Buds: Teater, NMG, Friends, 7th grade, boys.
  • My thorns: missing out on many great opportunity just because being lazy, not knowing what I want, just some downs

My roses: Traveling!!!, Meeting new friends, seeing old friends, learning to be more responsible, and Lott's more

My Buds: more traveling !!!, More NMG , less electronics, more acting,

(Well I guess that's it in a nutshell)

Happy New year !!! XD
  • Thorns: fifth grade, my ear problems, friend drama, sixth grade, bEING DELETED

Roses: my friends, marvel, book club, NMG

Buds: going to Great Wolf Lodge, camp, practicing the play with my friends.
  • My Thorns are: Not getting any part in my theater school's fall musical, and having my gerbil pass away on October 7th 2018 (RIP). But My Roses are getting a NMG magazine subscription for my 10th b-day! And going to an awesome school with great friends! and buds are NMG's ONLINE COMMUNITY and... I don't know it's too early to decide.
    • (correction COMMUNITY)
      • You can edit your posts with the red Edit button by the Reply button! :)
This reply was deleted.

Sister to Sister Message Board

Mod

Too Much To Do

“Yesterday I felt overwhelmed because I had more to do than I was used to (Lots of homework, after school activities and dinner). Do you have any tips for girls to feel less overwhelmed when they have a lot to do?”  - Anonymous Feeling overwhelmed by long to-do lists is a very common experience, especially as we get older and start taking on more responsibilities and commitments, have more time-consuming homework, etc.—so you are far from alone in this. (It’s certainly something I’ve had to…

Read more…
0 Replies · Reply by ✮ ✥ Evie ✥ ✮ Jun 3
Mod

Not a People Person

"Okay i am going to very very clear...I need advice from someone older than me. I am not very much a people person like I don't talk much around other people how would you say I deal with this?" - Anonymous Hi! I’m not very much of a “people person” myself, and am generally very shy and quiet in social settings, so I definitely understand this. As I know firsthand, it can be hard being less socially inclined than those around us… but I’m actually going to start by suggesting that, contrary to…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Mia the Macaroon Oshawott May 23
Mod

Fear of Growing Up

“Dear S2S Mentors, I am afraid of growing up. I have been my whole life, and... I just don't want to grow up. Do you have any advice or reassurance? Thank you.” - Solene   Solene, Good gracious, but I relate to this so deeply. Growing up has been a prospect that’s been rather frightening to me for some years—and (speaking as someone who recently became a legal adult last year) it’s also been very relevant for me of late. That said, the good news (again speaking as someone who recently became a…

Read more…
3 Replies · Reply by Opal May 20
Mod

Getting Work Done

“I’m in the first year of high school this year and I’ve found I’m really really bad at getting work done like I am not good at it at all. Last year in middle school I didn’t care as much about getting work done because in the long run as long as I was passing my class it wasn’t a big deal. This year it matters more what grades I get and so far I’m getting pretty average grades but they aren’t as good as I’m hoping for. A problem about this is I know I can do better but I just procrastinate and…

Read more…
4 Replies · Reply by Marvel Apr 23

Ask A Girl: Need advice? Give great advice? We help each other! Ask your questions or answer any of the questions already here. Your post will appear in a day or two, so check back often. We've had many girls ask if their questions can be anonymous, and that is not possible on this website. We want you to know that girls in NMG can trust each other, even with embarrassing questions. And if you want to, you can change your user name to a "not real" name that will then also be used in the magazine if your Ask A Girl question is published.

Letters To Luna: I'm Luna, the spirit of New Moon. Write a letter to me with your opinions and suggestions about the magazine and website. I love to read all your notes! Because I get so many letters, I can't reply online. But a select few letters get published in each issue!

Body & Feelings: Body image, mood swings, puberty, your first period, and so much more! The information girls need!

Check It Out: Share your rants and raves about books, magazines, movies, products, music, ads, tv, internet and more. Love it? Hate it? Let us know!

For The Curious: How does stuff in our world happen? Post and ask about experiments, tech, coding, math,  science, engineering, and more!  It's all about the weird, wonderful, and wacky! Be curious and be surprised.

Go Girls & Women Change the World: Amazing girls and women make the world a better place every day. Tell us about who you admire - now and from the past.  These don't have to be people who are already famous!

How Aggravating & Howl at the Moon: Tell us when you see something that's unfair to girls and women -you can vent about it here! And, Howl out your accomplishments and the things that make you proud as a person and a girl!

Love Remembers: Whether it's losing a beloved pet or a cherished person, loss is painful and can be difficult to cope with. But talking about our loved ones and keeping their memories alive can help. Share your beautiful memories here.

Random Stuff: Want a place to be silly, start message board games, or talk about stuff that doesn't fit into the other categories? Then check out this message board!

Role Play: Do you like role playing games? RPG’s are games where players (that’s you!) play the roles of characters in a fictional setting and have all kinds of adventures. See where the stories take you!

Voice Box: We can have different opinions and still be friends and listen respectfully to each other. We're interested to learn about other people's points of view and we don't have to try to convince them to think like we do. This is where we share opinions about issues that are important to us.

Contests & Games: Do you love creating new contests or games for everyone to play? Do you love playing in them? This is the place for you to make your own contests and games and invite everyone to participate! Remember, just like everywhere else on NMGMembers.com, if you make a contest or game, it must be open to everyone who wants to join in!